Guidelines for Long-Term Care Facilities
The Ohio Department of Health and the Ohio Department of Aging adopt the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines regarding general strategies to prevent the spread of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) in long-term care facilities (LTCF). These are the same strategies that these facilities use every day to detect and prevent the spread of other respiratory viruses like influenza.
The CDC Strategies to Prevent COVID-19 Spread in LTCF include details to:
- Prevent the introduction of respiratory germs into your facility
- Prevent the spread of respiratory germs within your facility
- Prevent the spread of respiratory germs between facilities.
LTCF that are concerned that someone is exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19 should contact their local health department. Additional steps LTCF can take to support residents include:
- Inform residents and families of the facility’s infectious disease emergency plan
- Train and remind staff to be consistent with good hand washing and other preventive measures
- Use a consistent-assignment staffing model to reduce the number of different caregivers each resident encounters
- Encourage visitors to use hand sanitizer when entering and leaving the building
- Encourage families and friends to regulate their visits if they are not feeling well and offer alternative means such as video communication.
- CDC Strategies to Prevent COVID-19 Spread in LTCF: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/healthcare- facilities/prevent-spread-in-long-term-care-facilities.html
- Health Care Infection Prevention and Control FAQs for COVID-19: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/infection- control/infection-prevention-control-faq.html
- Community Mitigation Guidance for COVID-19 Response in the United States, Nonpharmaceutical Interventions for Community Preparedness and Outbreak Response: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/preparing-individuals- communities.html
- Nursing Home Infection Preventionist Training: https://www.cdc.gov/longtermcare/training.html
- Health Care Professionals FAQ and Answers: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/faq.html
- The Nursing Home Infection Preventionist Training: https://www.cdc.gov/longtermcare/training.html
Source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention