COVID-19 Information and Checklist for School Meals
Protecting Against COVID-19
During Ohio’s coronavirus-related ordered school-building closure, many schools are ensuring students continue to receive nutritious meals. Some districts and schools can provide meals to all students in their communities, while others can provide meals only to qualifying students.
Ohio Department of Health Director Amy Acton, M.D., MPH, is working closely with the Ohio Department of Education to help students receive nutritious meals during the ordered school-building closure period.
- Many districts and schools are continuing to support students by providing breakfast and lunch in non-congregate settings. To find a meal site near you, use the Ohio Department of Education’s interactive map or check your local district’s website or social media channels for meal distribution locations and times.
- Meals are being provided in many ways, including pre-packaged or grab-and-go options.
- Meals are being distributed in non-congregate settings to reduce contact with others. Schools are using a variety of distritubtion methods such as drive- or walk-up meal distribution at school or community sites, meals driven to local neighborhoods, and volunteers delivering meals to households.
- Some schools are only able to serve meals to eligble students. Eligible students are those who qualify for free or reduced-price lunches during school. Check with your local district or school to see if your student is able to receive school meals.
For answers to your COVID-19 questions, call 1-833-4-ASK-ODH (1-833-427-5634).
If you or a loved one are experiencing anxiety related to the coronavirus pandemic, help is available. Call the Disaster Distress Helpline at 1.800.985.5990 (1.800.846.8517 TTY), connect with a trained counselor through the Ohio Crisis Text Line – text the keyword “4HOPE” to 741 741, or call the Ohio Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services help line at 1.877.275.6364 to find resources in your community.
Ohio Department of Education: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Frequently Asked Questions for Ohio’s Schools and Districts: http://education.ohio.gov/Topics/Student-Supports/Coronavirus/Frequently-Asked-Questions-Governor-DeWine%e2%80%99s-Scho#FAQ3869.
- Stay home when you are sick
- Avoid contact with people who are sick
- Get adequate sleep and eat well-balanced meals
- Wash hands often with water and soap (20 seconds or longer)
- Dry hands with a clean towel or air dry your hands
- Cover your mouth with a tissue or sleeve when coughing or sneezing
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, mouth with unwashed hands or after touching surfaces
- Clean and disinfect "High-Touch" surfaces often
- Call before visiting your doctor
- Practice good hygiene habits